Saturday, August 7, 2010

Lion Week Part Three - the Cowardly Lion


So there are already a male and female lion type represented within my Lion Them Week.

Today, I'm throwing out my rendition of L. Frank Baum's Cowardly Lion character from his fantastical "Wizard of Oz." I read the book when I was very young - shortly after I had seen the film for the first time. I saw the movie on a Saturday night on public television. The story was funny, scary and creepy and utterly enjoyable all at the same time.

I don't remember where I was when I watched it, but I do remember rummaging around the bookshelves at my Grandma's house and finding a copy of the book. A beaten up old copy from the fifties, I think it was.

Flying monkeys, houses falling on nasty people, hordes of little people with lollipops, ruby slippers, and of course the invaluable lesson that you can destroy witches with a bucket of water! Not to mention flipping from the mundane reality of black and white to glorious Technicolor. I love that part of the storytelling element.

Now, part four of the Lion Theme Week will be where I post the rules for winning some original artwork from me. Yes, you can win original work. I'll detail it all in my next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment