Wednesday, June 5, 2013

A Tribute to Ray

I love old science fiction and fantasy films.  That said it should come as no surprise that I enjoyed Ray Harryhausen's special effect wizardry.  The first time I saw his work was in King Kong (the film that's been often imitated but nothing else has ever come close to catching its spirit) when I was five years old.  My grandparent's neighbour had King Kong on a reel and they were projecting it on the screen in the basement. I was invited over to watch - I think there was a discussion of whether or not I was old enough to see it.  The film left me enthralled and I still watch it from time to time.  It's a true celluloid gem.

Ray Harryhausen created and left behind such a huge legacy - not only in his work, but in the vast number of people he influenced and touched.  I count myself among them, of course.  There's so much to dig through, don't leave it to Wikipedia to inform you - drop by his site: http://www.rayharryhausen.com/index.php and you'll get so much more.  

As for the tribute - here's mine - a piece of artwork that I created.  Thanks Mr. Harryhausen.




No comments:

Post a Comment