Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Danaerys in Black & White

Have you been watching HBO's Game of Thrones? Or have you read George R.R. Martin's book series?  Perhaps you're like me and enjoy both.  Though I'll admit that I'm a bit late to reading this particular series and just now starting to read A Clash of Kings, so no spoilers please!  

Naturally I'm drawn to the character of Daenerys Targaryen.  And who wouldn't be?  She is the Mother of Dragons!  

Alphonse Mucha, the Czech artist of the Art Nouveau period is a big inspiration to my own artwork.  I can look at his lithographs and murals for hours, lost in the swirls and patterns, and fine draftsmanship.  I drafted on the board long before I used the computer aided software, and I thoroughly enjoy doing so. 

Using these influences of Mucha, Art Nouveau, drafting, and the character of Daenerys, I created this piece.  For the moment it is in black and white ink, the colour version is set to come soon.

I'll have this available as a print at the Calgary Comic Expo later this month.  It will be available in limited numbers.  

No comments:

Post a Comment