Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Why Writers Have It Harder #1: Rejection Letters

We have an ongoing debate (debating is something we do a fair bit of by the way) of who has it harder, writers or artists?
 I firmly believe that writers have it harder.

A good example of this is the rejections.

For someone to even consider taking a look at my work as a writer, I have to first write a query letter. The query letter outlines what the book is and is the pitch.
If the publisher, editor or agent likes what is in the query letter, then they will ask for a partial, if they like the partial then they will ask to receive the full manuscript. Based on the query letter itself, I have received rejections.
 Here is a sample:

"Dear Tina-Sue,

Thank-you for your query. As you did not include sample pages (which my guidelines posted everywhere on the entire planet clearly say not to) it is impossible for me to tell if this would be a good match or not. At any rate my list is pretty full these days and I am going to pass on this.
 My opinion as a literary agent is subjective, another agent may feel differently...."

As an artist, for someone to consider using your work and giving you a paying gig, you have to submit pages. Right away, you get to show your work.
 Here is a sample of a "rejection letter" Christopher received,

"Hey man, I really like your stuff! I loved the pages. I can't use you for this project because your style is not exactly what I want to go with but you are clearly talented and I will consider using you in the future.
 Cheers..."

You see? 

Even the rejections writers receive are harsher in tone and from my observations, a lot harsher than what the artist receives. 
The writer clearly has it harder when they have-typically speaking-go through so much to even gain entry to show off their work. 

)O( 

No comments:

Post a Comment