Friday, August 24, 2012

The Cameo


Have you been reading the webcomic that I create with my writing partner Marc Deschamps?  You have?  That's fantastic.

What do you mean you haven't?  Well, get going, I'll wait until you've caught up to this strip - here's the link to the beginning of our current arc:
http://www.grayhavencomics.com/2012/08/15/kid-robo-chapter-2-14/

As a child, I read all of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's tales of Sherlock Holmes.  Later on I really enjoyed the Jeremy Brett version produced by the BBC and thankfully aired here on PBS.  I watched each episode numerous times.

The thing is that we really watch very little television.  It's just become something of an occasional distraction; often times being relegated to a simple background noise role.  It probably has something to do with the fact that I'd rather be creating my own material.  During one of these television watching occasions, I happened to stumble across the current incarnation of "Sherlock" from the BBC.  My wife and I sat spellbound for ten minutes, utterly embroiled in the dialogue and lost in the cinematography.  We were stunned!  Such a fantastic bit of television we had not seen for a very long time.  Thankfully there was a pause in the show which gave me chance to check the information - it was the season 2 finale!  The finale of season number two - we've missed two entire seasons...  

Of course that meant switching the show off - cannot come in to it with half of the second season finale already passed by.  Long story short, we tracked down the BBC DVD's (I love acronyms) and just finished watching Sherlock season one last week.  Which was just in time for this particular Kid Robo strip.  Pretty neat how some things just work out so neatly.  Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman make such a fantastic duo as Sherlock Holmes and Doctor Watson, so I simply had to pay some form of tribute to them.  


You can catch up on Kid Robo right from his first strip right here:
http://www.grayhavencomics.com/2011/04/04/kid-robo-chapter-1/

1 comment:

  1. It's a group of genius who put together this show. I just love the way they altered the original stories, weaving into them modern life and yet they are still so tightly connected with the original in every detail. And the music is great!

    ReplyDelete